Lawyers play an important role in our society. They are responsible for promoting justice, upholding and interpreting our laws and protecting their client’s interests. While a lawyer’s role can vary depending on the area of law they work in, the core responsibilities of a lawyer remain the same, and can include:
- Taking instructions from clients and acting on their behalf,
- Providing advice on complex legal issues, and identifying the relevant areas of law,
- Preparing and drafting legal documents such as wills, contracts and court forms,
- Upholding client legal privilege,
- Representing clients in court.
Often, lawyers are perceived to be overly expensive and only required when something goes wrong. This is incorrect! Not all lawyers charge unreasonable fees and the role of a lawyer is to not only fix problems, but also to prevent them from occurring. Lawyers ensure your interests are protected, and will explain complex legal issues in a simplistic, accessible manner.
If you are unsure whether you require a lawyer, the best course of action is to contact a law firm and have an initial consultation. At Hume Taylor & Co, we will give you an idea of legal costs, what your rights may be, and whether the matter could be resolved without engaging a lawyer.
Contact our office on 08 8223 3199 and book an initial consultation to receive personalised advice on our areas of expertise.